Verification of Work Authorization.
§ 64-25. (For effective date, see Editor's note.) Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Commissioner. - The North Carolina Commissioner of Labor.
(2) Employ. - Hire an employee.
(3) Employee. - Any individual who provides services or labor for an employer in this State for wages or other remuneration. The term does not include an individual whose term of employment is less than nine months in a calendar year.
(4) Employer. - Any person, business entity, or other organization that transacts business in this State and that employs 25 or more employees in this State. This term does not include State agencies, counties, municipalities, or other governmental bodies.
(5) E-Verify. - The federal E-Verify program operated by the United States Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies, or any successor or equivalent program used to verify the work authorization of newly hired employees pursuant to federal law.
(6) Unauthorized alien. - As defined in 8 U.S.C. § 1324a(h)(3). (2011-263, s. 3; 2013-418, s. 2(f).)