§ 166A-21. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Department. - The Department of Public Safety.
(2) Division. - The Division of Emergency Management.
(3) Hazardous material. - Any material defined as a hazardous substance under 29 Code of Federal Regulations § 1910.120(a)(3).
(4) Hazardous materials emergency response team or hazmat team. - An organized group of persons specially trained and equipped to respond to and control actual or potential leaks or spills of hazardous materials.
(5) Hazardous materials incident or hazardous materials emergency. - An uncontrolled release or threatened release of a hazardous substance requiring outside assistance by a local fire department or hazmat team to contain and control.
(6) Regional response team. - A hazmat team under contract with the State to provide response to hazardous materials emergencies occurring outside the hazmat team's local jurisdiction at the direction of the Department of Public Safety, Division of Emergency Management.
(7) Secretary. - The Secretary of the Department of Public Safety.
(8) Technician-level entry capability. - The capacity of a hazmat team, in terms of training and equipment as specified in 29 Code of Federal Regulations § 1910.120, to respond to a hazardous materials incident requiring affirmative measures, such as patching, plugging, or other action necessary to stop and contain the release of a hazardous substance at its source.
(9) Terrorist incident. - Activities that occur within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any state, and are intended to do one of the following:
a. Intimidate or coerce a civilian population.
b. Influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.
c. Affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 769, s. 22.4(b); 1997-456, s. 27; 2002-179, s. 21(b); 2011-145, s. 19.1(g); 2014-100, s. 16B.3(a).)