§ 153A-323. Procedure for adopting, amending, or repealing ordinances under this Article and Chapter 160A, Article 19.
(a) Before adopting, amending, or repealing any ordinance authorized by this Article or Chapter 160A, Article 19, the board of commissioners shall hold a public hearing on the ordinance or amendment. The board shall cause notice of the hearing to be published once a week for two successive calendar weeks. The notice shall be published the first time not less than 10 days nor more than 25 days before the date fixed for the hearing. In computing such period, the day of publication is not to be included but the day of the hearing shall be included.
(b) If the adoption or modification of the ordinance would result in any of the changes listed in this subsection and those changes would be located five miles or less from the perimeter boundary of a military base, the board of commissioners shall provide written notice of the proposed changes by certified mail, or by any other written means reasonably designed to provide actual notice, to the commander of the military base or the commander's designee not less than 10 days nor more than 25 days before the date fixed for the public hearing. Prior to the date of the public hearing, the military may provide comments or analysis to the board regarding the compatibility of the proposed changes with military operations at the base. If the board does not receive a response within 30 days of the notice, the military is deemed to waive the comment period. If the military provides comments or analysis regarding the compatibility of the proposed ordinance or amendment with military operations at the base, the board of commissioners shall take the comments and analysis into consideration before making a final determination on the ordinance. The proposed changes requiring notice are:
(1) Changes to the zoning map.
(2) Changes that affect the permitted uses of land.
(3) Changes relating to telecommunications towers or windmills.
(4) Changes to proposed new major subdivision preliminary plats.
(5) An increase in the size of an approved subdivision by more than fifty percent (50%) of the subdivision's total land area including developed and undeveloped land. (1959, c. 1006, s. 1; c. 1007; 1973, c. 822, s. 1; 1981, c. 891, ss. 2, 9; 2004-75, s. 1; 2005-426, s. 1(b); 2013-59, s. 1.)