§ 143-143.9. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Part:
(1) Bank. - A federally insured financial institution including institutions defined under G.S. 53C-1-4(4), savings and loan associations, credit unions, savings banks and other financial institutions chartered under this or any other state law or chartered under federal law.
(1a) Board. - The North Carolina Manufactured Housing Board.
(2) Buyer. - A person for whom a dealer performs, or is engaged to perform, any services or provides any products including the purchase and setup of a manufactured home for use as a residence or other related use.
(3) Code. - Engineering standards adopted by the Commissioner.
(4) Commissioner. - The Commissioner of Insurance of the State of North Carolina.
(5) Department. - The Department of Insurance of the State of North Carolina.
(5a) Deposit. - Any and all funds received by a dealer from a buyer or someone on behalf of a buyer for the performance of services or the provision of goods.
(5b) Escrow or trust account. - An account with a bank that is designated as an escrow account or as a trust account and that is maintained by a dealer for the deposit of buyers' funds.
(5c) Escrow or trust account funds. - Funds belonging to a person other than the dealer that are received by or placed under the control of the dealer in connection with the performance of services or the provision of products by a dealer for a buyer.
(5d) Funds. - Any form of money, including cash, payment instruments such as checks, money orders, or sales drafts, and receipts from electronic fund transfers. The term does not include letters of credit or promissory notes.
(5e) License. - A license issued under this Part.
(5f) Licensee. - A person who has been issued a license under this Part by the North Carolina Manufactured Housing Board.
(6) Manufactured home. - A structure, transportable in one or more sections, which, in the traveling mode, is eight feet or more in width or is 40 feet or more in length, or when erected on site, is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical systems contained therein.
(7) Manufactured home dealer or dealer. - Any person engaged in the business of buying or selling manufactured homes or offering or displaying manufactured homes for sale in North Carolina. Any person who buys or sells three or more manufactured homes in any 12-month period, or who offers or displays for sale three or more manufactured homes in any 12-month period shall be presumed to be a manufactured home dealer. The terms "selling" and "sale" include lease-purchase transactions. The term "manufactured home dealer" does not include banks and finance companies that acquire manufactured homes as an incident to their regular business.
(8) Manufactured home manufacturer or manufacturer. - Any person, resident or nonresident, who manufactures or assembles manufactured homes for sale to dealers in North Carolina.
(9) Manufactured home salesperson or salesperson. - Any person employed by a manufactured home dealer to sell manufactured homes to buyers. Manufactured home salesperson or salesperson also includes sales managers, lot managers, general managers, or others who manage or supervise salespersons.
(10) Person. - Any individual, natural persons, firm, partnership, association, corporation, legal representative or other recognized legal entity.
(11) Responsible party. - A manufacturer, dealer, supplier, or set-up contractor.
(12) Setup. - The operations performed at the occupancy site which render a manufactured home fit for habitation.
(13) Set-up contractor. - A person who engages in the business of performing setups for compensation in North Carolina.
(14) Substantial defect. - Any substantial deficiency in or damage to materials or workmanship occurring in a manufactured home which has been reasonably maintained and cared for in normal use. The term also means any structural element, utility system or component part of the manufactured home which fails to comply with the Code.
(15) Supplier. - The original producer of completed components, including refrigerators, stoves, hot water heaters, dishwashers, cabinets, air conditioners, heating units, and similar components, and materials such as floor coverings, paneling, siding, trusses, and similar materials, which are furnished to a manufacturer or dealer for installation in the manufactured home prior to sale to a buyer. (1981, c. 952, s. 2; 1987, c. 429, ss. 4, 5, 19; 1999-393, s. 1; 2001-421, s. 2.1.; 2005-451, ss. 1, 2; 2012-56, s. 48.)