(a) No person may knowingly:
(1) Collect, transport, store, recycle, use, or dispose of used oil in any manner which endangers the public health or welfare.
(2) Discharge used oil into sewers, drainage systems, septic tanks, surface waters, groundwaters, watercourses, or marine waters.
(3) Dispose of used oil in landfills in the State unless such disposal has been approved by the Department.
(4) Mix used oil with solid waste that is to be disposed of in landfills.
(5) Mix used oil with hazardous substances that make it unsuitable for recycling or beneficial use.
(b) A person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished as provided by G.S. 130A-25(a) and G.S. 14-3.
(c) A person who disposes of used oil in a landfill where such used oil has been mixed with other solid waste which may be lawfully disposed of in such landfill, and who is without knowledge that such solid waste has been mixed with used oil, is not guilty of a violation under this section.
(d) Used oil shall not be used for road oiling, dust control, weed abatement, or other similar purposes that have the potential to release used oil into the environment. (1989, c. 784, s. 2.)