§ 115C-75.8. (See editor's note for contingency) Selection of AS operators.
(a) The State Board of Education may select an AS operator for a prospective achievement school by January 15 and shall select an AS operator for a prospective school no later than February 15.
(b) Upon the recommendation of the ASD Superintendent, the State Board of Education shall only select an entity to contract as an AS operator if that entity demonstrates one of the following:
(1) The entity has a record of results in improving performance of persistently low-performing schools or improving performance of a substantial number of persistently low-performing students within a school or schools operated by the entity in this State or other states.
(2) The entity has a credible and specific plan for dramatically improving student achievement in a low-performing school and provides evidence that the entity, or a contractual affiliate of such an entity, is either currently operating a school or schools in this State that provide students a sound, basic education or demonstrating consistent and substantial growth toward providing students a sound, basic education in the prior three school years.
(c) The selected AS operator is encouraged to hold public informational sessions and other outreach to the community, prospective achievement school, and local board of education of a prospective achievement school prior to a local board's adoption of the resolution required by G.S. 115C-75.7(c).
(d) The contract between the State Board of Education and AS operator shall require, as a minimum, that the AS operator meet the same requirements as established for charter schools in the following statutes:
(1) G.S. 115C-218.20 (Civil liability and insurance requirements).
(2) G.S. 115C-218.25 (Open meetings and public records).
(3) G.S. 115C-218.30 (Accountability; reporting requirements to State Board of Education).
(4) G.S. 115C-218.50 (Charter school nonsectarian).
(5) G.S. 115C-218.55 (Nondiscrimination in charter schools).
(6) G.S. 115C-218.60 (Student discipline).
(7) G.S. 115C-218.65 (North Carolina School Report Cards).
(8) G.S. 115C-218.75 (General operating requirements).
(9) G.S. 115C-218.85 (Course of study requirements). (2016-110, s. 1.)