§ 115C-402.15. Parental notification regarding rights to student records and opt-out opportunities.
(a) Annual Parental Notification. - Local boards of education shall annually provide parents, by a method reasonably designed to provide actual notice, information on parental rights under State and federal law with regards to student records and opt-out opportunities for disclosure of directory information as provided under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g, and notice and opt-out opportunities for surveys covered by the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment, 20 U.S.C. § 1232h.
(b) Notice Content. - The notice shall include information on parental rights under State and federal law to:
(1) Inspect and review education records.
(2) Seek to amend inaccurate education records.
(3) Provide written consent prior to disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records, except as otherwise provided by law. Information shall be included on disclosure of directory information and parental rights to opt out of disclosure of directory information.
(4) File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
(5) Receive notice and the opportunity to opt out prior to the participation of the student in a protected information survey under 20 U.S.C. § 1232h. (2014-50, s. 2.)