§ 115C-210.1. Membership - How appointed.
(a) The Council shall consist of 15 members, as follows:
(1) Two legislative members appointed as follows:
a. One member appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
b. One member appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(2) Two American Indian members from higher education, who are preferably faculty members. The Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina and the State Board of Community Colleges shall each appoint a member.
(3) One American Indian member from the North Carolina Commission on Indian Affairs to be appointed by that Commission.
(4) Five American Indian parents of students enrolled in K-12 public schools, including charter schools.
(4a) Five American Indian K-12 public school educators, one member who shall be a Title VII director or coordinator, to be appointed by the State Board of Education from a list of recommendations submitted by the North Carolina Commission on Indian Affairs. For the purposes of this subdivision, a K-12 educator may be a school administrator, classroom teacher, resource teacher, or school counselor. A member appointed pursuant to this subdivision must hold a current North Carolina professional educator license.
(5) Repealed by Session Laws 2015-295, s. 1, effective October 29, 2015.
(b) American Indian members of the Council shall be broadly representative of North Carolina Indian tribes and organizations, North Carolina State-recognized tribes and organizations (Coharie Tribe, Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation, Haliwa-Saponi Indian Tribe, Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, Meherrin Indian Tribe, Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation, Sappony, Waccamaw Siouan Tribe, Cumberland County Association for Indian People, Guilford Native American Association, Metrolina Native American Association, Triangle Native American Society, and any other Indian tribe gaining State recognition in the future), and parents and educators from tribes recognized by the United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs. (1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1084, s. 1; 1991, c. 739, s. 13; 1997-456, s. 27; 2015-295, s. 1.)