§ 75-66. Publication of personal information.
(a) It shall be a violation of this section for any person to knowingly broadcast or publish to the public on radio, television, cable television, in a writing of any kind, or on the Internet, the personal information of another with actual knowledge that the person whose personal information is disclosed has previously objected to any such disclosure.
(b) As used in this section, "person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, trust, estate, cooperative, association, or other entity, but does not include any:
(1) Government, government subdivision or agency.
(2) Entity subject to federal requirements pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
(c) As used in this section, the phrase "personal information" includes a person's first name or first initial and last name in combination with any of the following information:
(1) Social security or employer taxpayer identification numbers.
(2) Drivers license, State identification card, or passport numbers.
(3) Checking account numbers.
(4) Savings account numbers.
(5) Credit card numbers.
(6) Debit card numbers.
(7) Personal Identification (PIN) Code as defined in G.S. 14-113.8(6).
(8) Digital signatures.
(9) Any other numbers or information that can be used to access a person's financial resources.
(10) Biometric data.
(d) Nothing in this section shall:
(1) Limit the requirements or obligations under any other section of this Article, including, but not limited to, G.S. 75-62 and G.S. 75-65.
(2) Apply to the collection, use, or release of personal information for a purpose permitted, authorized, or required by any federal, State, or local law, regulation, or ordinance.
(3) Apply to data integration efforts to implement the State's business intelligence strategy as provided by law or under contract.
(e) Any person whose property or person is injured by reason of a violation of this section may sue for civil damages pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 1-539.2C. (2007-534, s. 2; 2012-142, s. 6A.7A(h).)