§ 66-68. (Repealed effective July 1, 2017 - see note for contingency) Certificate to be filed; contents; exemption of certain partnerships and limited liability companies engaged in rendering professional services; withdrawal or transfer of assumed name.
(a) Unless exempt under subsection (e) hereof, before any person or partnership engages in business in any county in this State under an assumed name or under any designation, name or style other than the real name of the owner or owners thereof, before any limited partnership engaged in business in any county in this State other than under the name set out in the Certificate filed with the Office of the Secretary of State, before any limited liability company engages in business in any county other than under the name set out in the articles of organization filed with the Office of the Secretary of State, or before a corporation engages in business in any county other than under its corporate name, such person, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, or corporation must file in the office of the register of deeds of such county a certificate giving the following information:
(1) The name under which the business is to be conducted; and
(2) The name and address of the owner, or if there is more than one owner, the name and address of each.
(b) If the owner is an individual or a partnership, the certificate must be signed and duly acknowledged by the individual owner, or by each general partner. If the owner is a corporation or limited liability company, it must be signed in the name of the corporation or limited liability company and duly acknowledged as provided by G.S. 47-41.01 or G.S. 47-41.02.
(c) Whenever a general partner withdraws from or a new general partner joins a partnership, a new certificate shall be filed. For limited partnerships, the requirement of this subsection (c) shall be deemed satisfied if the partnership is identified as the owner as provided in subsection (a) and the partnership's certificate of limited partnership is amended as provided in G.S. 59-202.
(d) It is not necessary that any person, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation file such certificate in any county where no place of business is maintained and where the only business done in such county is the sale of goods by sample or by traveling agents or by mail.
(e) Any partnership or limited liability company engaged in rendering professional services, as defined in G.S. 55B-2(6), in this State, shall be exempt from the requirements of this section if it shall file annually with the licensing board responsible for regulating the rendering of such professional services, or at such intervals as shall be designated from time to time by such licensing board, a listing of the names and addresses of its partners or members. The listing shall be open to public inspection during normal working hours.
(f) Any person, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation executing and filing a certificate of assumed name as required by this section may, upon ceasing to engage in business in this State under the assumed name, withdraw the assumed name or transfer the assumed name to any other person, partnership, or corporation by filing in the office of the register of deeds of the county in which the certificate of assumed name is filed a certificate of withdrawal or a certificate of transfer executed as provided in subsection (b) of this section and setting forth:
(1) The assumed name being withdrawn or transferred;
(2) The date of filing of the certificate of assumed name;
(3) The name and address of the owner or owners of the business;
(4) A statement that such owner or owners have ceased engaging in business under the assumed name;
(5) If the assumed name is to be withdrawn, the effective date (which shall be a date certain but not more than 20 days from the date of filing) of the withdrawal if it is not to be effective upon the filing of the certificate of withdrawal; and
(6) If the assumed name is to be transferred, the name and address of the transferee or transferees, and the effective date (which shall be a date certain but not more than 20 days from the date of filing) of the transfer if it is not to be effective upon the filing of the certificate of transfer. This subsection does not relieve a transferee of the obligation to file a certificate of assumed name as required by this Article. (1913, c. 77, s. 1; C.S., s. 3288; 1951, c. 381, ss. 3, 7; 1967, c. 823, s. 28; 1977, c. 384; 1985, c. 264; 1987, c. 723, ss. 1, 2; 1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1031, s. 4; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1030, s. 18; 1999-189, s. 6; 2000-140, s. 101(t); 2016-100, s. 1.)