§ 53-342. Securities and other investments.
(a) A State trust company may invest its corporate funds in any type or character of equity securities or debt securities subject to the limitations provided by this section.
(b) Unless the Commissioner approves maintenance of a lesser amount, a State trust company shall invest and maintain an amount equal to at least forty percent (40%) of its equity capital in unencumbered cash, cash equivalents, and readily marketable securities.
(c) Subject to subsections (d) and (e) of this section, the total investment in equity and investment securities of any one issuer, obligor, or maker held by a State trust company for its own account shall not exceed an amount equal to fifteen percent (15%) of the State trust company's equity capital. The Commissioner may authorize investments in excess of this limitation if the Commissioner concludes that the safe and sound operation of a State trust company would not be adversely affected by a proposed investment exceeding this limitation.
(d) In calculating compliance with the investment limits set forth in subsection (c) of this section, a State trust company shall not be required to combine:
(1) The State trust company's pro rata share of the securities of an issuer in the portfolio of a collective investment vehicle with the State trust company's pro rata share of the securities of that issuer held by another collective investment vehicle in which the State trust company has invested; or
(2) The State trust company's own direct investment in the securities of an issuer with the State trust company's pro rata share of the securities of that issuer held by collective investment vehicles in which the State trust company has invested under the provisions of this section.
(e) Notwithstanding subsection (c) of this section, a State trust company may purchase for its own account, without limitation and subject only to the exercise of prudent judgment:
(1) Bonds and other general obligations of a state, an agency, or political subdivision of a state, the United States, or an agency or instrumentality of the United States;
(2) A debt security that this State, an agency or political subdivision of this State, the United States, or an agency or instrumentality of the United States has unconditionally agreed to purchase, insure, or guarantee;
(3) Securities that are offered and sold under 15 U.S.C. § 77d(5);
(4) Mortgage-related securities as defined in 15 U.S.C. § 78c(a);
(5) Investment securities issued or guaranteed by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, Fannie Mae, the Government National Mortgage Association, the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Association, or the Federal Farm Credit Banks Funding Corporation; and
(6) Investment securities issued or guaranteed by the North American Development Bank.
(f) The Commissioner may allow State trust companies to make other investments of its corporate funds not specified in this Subpart by rules, orders, or declaratory rulings. (2001-263, s. 1.)