§ 53‑244.109. Mortgage broker duties.
Any mortgage broker engaged in the mortgage business as defined by G.S. 53‑244.030(11)a., in addition to duties imposed by other statutes or at common law, shall do all of the following:
(1) Safeguard and account for any money handled for the borrower.
(2) Follow reasonable and lawful instructions from the borrower.
(3) Act with reasonable skill, care, and diligence.
(4) Make reasonable efforts to secure a loan that is reasonably advantageous to the borrower considering all the circumstances, including the rates, charges, and repayment terms of the loan.
(5) Timely and clearly disclose to the borrower material information that may be expected to influence the borrower's decision and is reasonably accessible to the mortgage broker, including the total compensation the mortgage broker expects to receive from any and all sources in connection with each loan option presented to the borrower.
(6) Notify before closing each lender of the particulars of each of the other lender's loans if the mortgage broker knows that more than one mortgage loan will be made by different lenders contemporaneously to a borrower.
(7) Ensure that any services offered to any applicant shall be available and offered to all similarly situated applicants on an equal basis.
(8) In transactions where the mortgage broker has the ability to make credit decisions, use reasonable means to provide the borrower with prompt credit decisions on its loan applications and, where the credit is denied, to comply fully with the notification requirements of applicable State and federal law.
(9) Ensure that advertising materials are designed to make customers and potential customers aware that the mortgage broker does not discriminate on any prohibited basis.
(10) Represent the borrower's best interest in the course of brokering a mortgage loan.
(11) Have a duty of loyalty to the borrower, which shall include a duty not to compromise a borrower's right or interest in favor of another's right or interest, including a right or interest of the mortgage broker. (2009‑374, s. 2.)