§ 20‑53.1. Specially constructed vehicle certificate of title and registration.
(a) Specially constructed vehicles shall be titled in the following manner:
(1) Replica vehicles shall be titled as the year, make, and model of the vehicle intended to be replicated. A label of "Replica" shall be applied to the title and registration card. All replica vehicle titles shall be labeled "Specially Constructed Vehicle."
(2) The model year of a street rod vehicle shall continue to be recognized as the manufacturer's assigned model year. The manufacturer's name shall continue to be used as the make with a label of "Street Rod" applied to the title and registration card. All street rod vehicle titles shall be labeled "Specially Constructed Vehicle."
(3) Custom‑built vehicles shall be titled and registered showing the make as "Custom‑built," and the year the vehicle was built shall be the vehicle model year. All custom‑built vehicle titles shall be labeled "Specially Constructed Vehicle."
(b) Inoperable vehicles may be titled, but no registration may be issued until such time as the License and Theft Bureau inspects the vehicle to ensure it is substantially assembled. Once a vehicle has been verified as substantially assembled pursuant to an inspection by the License and Theft Bureau, the Commissioner shall title the vehicle by classifying it in the proper category and collecting all highway use taxes applicable to the value of the car at the time the vehicle is retitled to a proper classification, as described in this section.
(c) Motor vehicle certificates of title and registration cards issued pursuant to this section shall be labeled in accordance with this section. As used in this section, "labeled" means that the title and registration card shall contain a designation that discloses if the vehicle is classified as any of the following:
(1) Specially constructed vehicle.
(2) Inoperable vehicle. (2009‑405, s. 2.)