§ 20‑38.3. Police processing duties.
Upon the arrest of a person, with or without a warrant, but not necessarily in the order listed, a law enforcement officer:
(1) Shall inform the person arrested of the charges or a cause for the arrest.
(2) May take the person arrested to any place within the State for one or more chemical analyses at the request of any law enforcement officer and for any evaluation by a law enforcement officer, medical professional, or other person to determine the extent or cause of the person's impairment.
(3) May take the person arrested to some other place within the State for the purpose of having the person identified, to complete a crash report, or for any other lawful purpose.
(4) May take photographs and fingerprints in accordance with G.S. 15A‑502.
(5) Shall take the person arrested before a judicial official for an initial appearance after completion of all investigatory procedures, crash reports, chemical analyses, and other procedures provided for in this section. (2006‑253, s. 5.)