§ 18B‑1101. Authorization of unfortified winery permit.
The holder of an unfortified winery permit may:
(1) Manufacture unfortified wine;
(2) Sell, deliver and ship unfortified wine in closed containers to wholesalers licensed under this Chapter as authorized by the ABC laws, except that wine may be sold to exporters and nonresident wholesalers only when the purchase is not for resale in this State;
(2a) Receive, in closed containers, unfortified wine produced inside or outside North Carolina under the winery's label from grapes, berries, or other fruits owned by the winery, and sell, deliver, and ship that wine to wholesalers, exporters, and nonresident wholesalers in the same manner as its wine manufactured in North Carolina. This provision may be used only by a winery during its first three years of operation or when there is substantial damage to its grapes, berries, or other fruits from catastrophic crop loss. This provision may be used only three years out of every 10 years and notice must be given to the Commission each time this provision is used;
(3) Ship its wine in closed containers to individual purchasers inside and outside this State in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 18B‑1001, 18B‑1001.1, and 18B‑1001.2, and other applicable provisions of this Chapter;
(4) Furnish or sell "short‑filled" packages, on which State taxes have been or will be paid, to its employees for the use of the employees or their families and guests in this State;
(5) Regardless of the results of any local wine election, sell the wine owned by the winery at the winery for on‑ or off‑premise consumption upon obtaining the appropriate permit under G.S. 18B‑1001;
(6) Sell the wine manufactured by the winery or produced under the winery's label under subdivision (2a) of this section for on‑ or off‑premise consumption at no more than three other locations in the State, upon obtaining the appropriate permit under G.S. 18B‑1001;
(6a) Receive, in closed containers, and sell at the winery, unfortified wine produced inside or outside North Carolina under contract with the winery. Such contract wine must have the winery's name clearly displayed on each bottle. The contract wine may be sold also at affiliated retail outlets of the winery physically located on or adjacent to the winery. Any wine received by a winery under this provision must be made available for sale by the winery to wholesalers for distribution to retailers, without discrimination, in the same manner as if the wine were being imported by the winery;
(7) Obtain a wine wholesaler permit to sell, deliver, and ship at wholesale unfortified wine manufactured at the winery. The authorization of this subdivision applies only to a winery that annually sells, to persons other than exporters and nonresident wholesalers when the purchase is not for resale in this State, no more than 100,000 gallons of unfortified wine manufactured by it at the winery;
(8) Allow winemaking on premises as allowed by a permit issued pursuant to G.S. 18B‑1001(17).
A sale under subdivision (4) shall not be considered a retail or wholesale sale under the ABC laws. (1973, c. 511, ss. 1, 2; 1975, c. 411, s. 6; 1979, c. 224; 1981, c. 412, s. 2; c. 747, s. 60; 1985, c. 89, s. 4; 1989, c. 800, s. 2; 2001‑262, s. 2; 2001‑487, s. 49(b); 2002‑102, s. 2; 2003‑402, s. 6; 2004‑135, s. 2; 2004‑199, s. 11; 2007‑402, s. 3.)