§ 143B‑437.56. Calculation of minimum and maximum grants; factors considered.
(a) Subject to the limitations of subsection (d) of this section, the amount of the grant awarded in each case shall be a percentage of the withholdings of eligible positions. The percentage shall be no less than ten percent (10%) and no more than seventy‑five percent (75%) of the withholdings of the eligible positions for a period of years. The percentage used to determine the amount of the grant shall be based on criteria developed by the Committee, in consultation with the Attorney General, after considering at least the following:
(1) The number of eligible positions to be created.
(2) The expected duration of those positions.
(3) The type of contribution the business can make to the long‑term growth of the State's economy.
(4) The amount of other financial assistance the project will receive from the State or local governments.
(5) The total dollar investment the business is making in the project.
(6) Whether the project utilizes existing infrastructure and resources in the community.
(7) Whether the project is located in a development zone.
(8) The number of eligible positions that would be filled by residents of a development zone.
(9) The extent to which the project will mitigate unemployment in the State and locality.
(b) The term of the grant shall not exceed 12 years starting with the first year a grant payment is made. The first grant payment must be made within six years after the date on which the grant was awarded. The number of years in the base period for which grant payments may be made shall not exceed five years.
(c) The grant may be based only on eligible positions created during the base period.
(d) For any eligible position that is located in a development tier three area, seventy‑five percent (75%) of the annual grant approved for disbursement shall be payable to the business, and twenty‑five percent (25%) shall be payable to the Utility Account pursuant to G.S. 143B‑437.61. For any eligible position that is located in a development tier two area, eighty‑five percent (85%) of the annual grant approved for disbursement shall be payable to the business, and fifteen percent (15%) shall be payable to the Utility Account pursuant to G.S. 143B‑437.61. A position is located in the development tier area that has been assigned to the county in which the project is located at the time the application is filed with the Committee.
(e) A business that is receiving any other grant by operation of State law may not receive an amount as a grant pursuant to this Part that, when combined with any other grants, exceeds seventy‑five percent (75%) of the withholdings of the business, unless the Committee makes an explicit finding that the additional grant is necessary to secure the project.
(f) The amount of a grant associated with any specific eligible position, including any amount transferred to the Utility Account pursuant to G.S. 143B‑437.61, may not exceed six thousand five hundred dollars ($6,500) in any year. (2002‑172, s. 2.1(a); 2003‑416, s. 2; 2003‑435, 2nd Ex. Sess., s. 2.5; 2006‑168, s. 1.5; 2006‑252, s. 2.9(a), (b); 2006‑264, s. 69(d).)