§ 143B‑437.51. Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this Part:
(1) Agreement. – A community economic development agreement under G.S. 143B‑437.57.
(2) Base period. – The period of time set by the Committee during which new employees are to be hired for the positions on which the grant is based.
(3) Business. – A corporation, sole proprietorship, cooperative association, partnership, S corporation, limited liability company, nonprofit corporation, or other form of business organization, located either within or outside this State.
(4) Committee. – The Economic Investment Committee established pursuant to G.S. 143B‑437.54.
(4a) Development tier. – The classification assigned to an area pursuant to G.S. 143B‑437.08.
(5) Eligible position. – A position created by a business and filled by a new full‑time employee in this State during the base period.
(6) Full‑time employee. – A person who is employed for consideration for at least 35 hours a week, whose wages are subject to withholding under Article 4A of Chapter 105 of the General Statutes, and who is determined by the Committee to be employed in a permanent position according to criteria it develops in consultation with the Attorney General. The term does not include any person who works as an independent contractor or on a consulting basis for the business.
(7) New employee. – A full‑time employee who represents a net increase in the number of the business's employees statewide.
(8) Overdue tax debt. – Defined in G.S. 105‑243.1.
(9) Related member. – Defined in G.S. 105‑130.7A.
(10) Withholdings. – The amount withheld by a business from the wages of employees in eligible positions under Article 4A of Chapter 105 of the General Statutes. (2002‑172, s. 2.1(a); 2003‑416, s. 2; 2003‑435, 2nd Ex. Sess., s. 2.1; 2006‑168, s. 1.1; 2006‑252, s. 2.6; 2006‑264, s. 69(a).)