§ 14-208.11. Failure to register; falsification of verification notice; failure to return verification form; order for arrest.
(a) A person required by this Article to register who willfully does any of the following is guilty of a Class F felony:
(1) Fails to register as required by this Article, including failure to register with the sheriff in the county designated by the person, pursuant to G.S. 14-208.8, as their expected county of residence.
(2) Fails to notify the last registering sheriff of a change of address as required by this Article.
(3) Fails to return a verification notice as required under G.S. 14-208.9A.
(4) Forges or submits under false pretenses the information or verification notices required under this Article.
(5) Fails to inform the registering sheriff of enrollment or termination of enrollment as a student.
(6) Fails to inform the registering sheriff of employment at an institution of higher education or termination of employment at an institution of higher education.
(7) Fails to report in person to the sheriff's office as required by G.S. 14-208.7, 14-208.9, and 14-208.9A.
(8) Reports his or her intent to reside in another state or jurisdiction but remains in this State without reporting to the sheriff in the manner required by G.S. 14-208.9.
(9) Fails to notify the registering sheriff of out-of-county employment if temporary residence is established as required under G.S. 14-208.8A.
(10) Fails to inform the registering sheriff of any new or changes to existing online identifiers that the person uses or intends to use.
(a1) If a person commits a violation of subsection (a) of this section, the probation officer, parole officer, or any other law enforcement officer who is aware of the violation shall immediately arrest the person in accordance with G.S. 15A-401, or seek an order for the person's arrest in accordance with G.S. 15A-305.
(a2) A person arrested pursuant to subsection (a1) of this section shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the prosecutorial and judicial district that includes the sheriff's office in the county where the person failed to register, pursuant to this Article. If the arrest is made outside of the applicable prosecutorial district, the person shall be transferred to the custody of the sheriff of the county where the person failed to register and all further criminal and judicial proceedings shall be held in that county.
(b) Before a person convicted of a violation of this Article is due to be released from a penal institution, an official of the penal institution shall conduct the prerelease notification procedures specified under G.S. 14-208.8(a)(2) and (3). If upon a conviction for a violation of this Article, no active term of imprisonment is imposed, the court pronouncing sentence shall, at the time of sentencing, conduct the notification procedures specified under G.S. 14-208.8(a)(2) and (3).
(c) A person who is unable to meet the registration or verification requirements of this Article shall be deemed to have complied with its requirements if:
(1) The person is incarcerated in, or is in the custody of, a local, State, private, or federal correctional facility,
(2) The person notifies the official in charge of the facility of their status as a person with a legal obligation or requirement under this Article and
(3) The person meets the registration or verification requirements of this Article no later than 10 days after release from confinement or custody. (1995, c. 545, s. 1; 1997-516, s. 1; 2002-147, s. 20; 2006-247, ss. 8(a), 8(b); 2008-220, s. 7; 2013-205, s. 1.)