(a) The public health authority director is an employee of the authority board and shall serve at the pleasure of the authority board.
(b) An authority health director shall perform public health duties prescribed by and under the supervision of the public health authority board and the Department and shall be employed full time in the field of public health.
(c) An authority health director shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To administer programs as directed by the public health authority board;
(2) To enforce the rules of the public health authority board;
(3) To investigate the causes of infectious, communicable, and other diseases;
(4) To exercise quarantine authority and isolation authority pursuant to G.S. 130A-145;
(5) To disseminate public health information and to promote the benefits of good health;
(6) To advise local officials concerning public health matters;
(7) To enforce the immunization requirements of Part 2 of Article 7 of this Chapter;
(8) To examine and investigate cases of venereal disease pursuant to Parts 3 and 4 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(9) To examine and investigate cases of tuberculosis pursuant to Part 5 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(10) To examine, investigate, and control rabies pursuant to Part 6 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(11) To abate public health nuisances and imminent hazards pursuant to G.S. 130A-19 and G.S. 130A-20; and
(12) To employ, discipline, and dismiss employees of the public health authority.
(d) Authority conferred upon a public health authority director may be exercised only within the county or counties comprising the public health authority. (1997-502, s. 1.)