Asbestos Hazard Management.
§ 130A-444. Definitions.
Unless a different meaning is required by the context, the following definitions apply throughout this Article:
(1) "AHERA" means Title II, Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of the Toxic Substances Control Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2601, et seq., as amended by the Asbestos School Hazard Abatement Reauthorization Act of 1990, P.L. 101-637, 104 Stat. 4589 ("ASHARA").
(2) "Asbestos" means asbestiform varieties of chrysotile (serpentine), crocidolite (riebeckite), amosite (cummingtonite-grunerite), anthophyllite, tremolite and actinolite.
(3) "Asbestos containing material" means material which contains more than one percent (1%) asbestos, including friable asbestos containing material and nonfriable asbestos containing material.
(3a) "Asbestos NESHAP for demolition and renovation" means that portion of the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for asbestos that governs demolition and renovation as set out in 40 CFR §§ 61.141, 61.145, 61.150, and 61.154 (1 July 1993 edition).
(4) "Abatement" means work performed to repair, maintain, remove, isolate, or encapsulate asbestos containing material. The term does not include inspections, preparation of management plans, abatement project design, taking of samples, or project overview.
(5) "Friable" means any material that when dry can be broken, crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by hand pressure, and includes previously nonfriable material after such material becomes damaged to the extent that when dry it can be crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by hand pressure.
(6) "Management" means all activities related to asbestos containing material, including inspections, preparation of management plans, abatement project design, abatement, project overview, and taking of samples.
(6a) "Person" means an individual, a corporation, a company, an association, a partnership, a unit of local government, a State or federal agency, or any other legal entity.
(7) "Public area" means those areas in any building other than a residence that are not covered under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, Pub. L. 91-596, 84 Stat. 1590, 29 U.S.C. § 651, et seq., as amended.
(8) "Removal" means stripping, chipping, sanding, sawing, drilling, scraping, sucking, and other methods of separating material from its installed location in a building.
(9) "Residence" means any single family dwelling or any multi-family dwelling of fewer than 10 units. (1989, c. 724, s. 1; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 686, s. 2; 1995, c. 123, s. 7.)