§ 115C‑238.29A. Purpose.
The purpose of this Part is to authorize a system of charter schools to provide opportunities for teachers, parents, pupils, and community members to establish and maintain schools that operate independently of existing schools, as a method to accomplish all of the following:
(1) Improve student learning;
(2) Increase learning opportunities for all students, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for students who are identified as at risk of academic failure or academically gifted;
(3) Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods;
(4) Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunities to be responsible for the learning program at the school site;
(5) Provide parents and students with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system; and
(6) Hold the schools established under this Part accountable for meeting measurable student achievement results, and provide the schools with a method to change from rule‑based to performance‑based accountability systems. (1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 731, s. 2.)